Once upon a time I use to love Valentine’s Day – I enjoyed the lead up to it, the anonymous messages and the romance surrounding the day. Being a huge Disney fan as a child, I eagerly awaited the day my Prince Charming would arrive on my doorstep. Little did I know Continue reading
This blog is dedicated to those qualified colour consultants or colour designers that have been trained and specialise in specifying colour.
I recently received a call from a client asking for my fees and availability for doing a short colour consultation for her small business. After she compared my fee to the price of a paint company’s colour consultant it dawned on me that what I had been thinking for some time was true – a lot of people really don’t understand the full offering of a qualified colour consultant or colour designer.
On the one hand, the paint companies have done a great job in promoting the importance of colour in the built environment and the concept of colour consulting. Although, in the process Continue reading
I’m not sure whether it’s my current addiction to Mad Men and reminiscing over all the Don Drapers I use to work with or twenty years of a past life in marketing, advertising and new product development that’s bubbled to the surface.
I know it’s been talked about a thousand times, although today I have an urge to discuss the importance of using the correct colour to communicate your brand message – I’ll focus on product packaging another day.
There’s been quite a lot of research in this area such as (Chang and Lin, 2010) who concluded that over 62% of people developed an association to a brand purely based on colours alone. This was the result of an experiment which showed a group of people 3-second advertisements. Continue reading
Did you know that only 10% of our DNA is being used for building proteins? It is this subset of DNA that is of interest to western researchers and is being examined and categorised. The other 90% are considered “junk DNA.”
In other words, according to Western Research, Mother Nature has made one huge mistake and provided all living organisms with a big chunk of unnecessary material within our DNA!
To be honest, I find it sad that the human ego can be so huge at times that it thinks it is smarter than Mother Nature.
In contrast to this theory, an innovative Russian team, led by biophysicist and molecular biologist Pjotr Garjajev, refused to accept that such a huge majority of DNA could hold no research value. Continue reading
When I do things, I like to be 100% confident (I’m not a fake it ‘til you make it kind of girl). I guess that came from a father who would jokingly ask me in primary school where the extra 5% was when I’d only achieved 95% – I didn’t find that very humorous!
So, needless to say, it’s taken me three years to decide what to write for my first blog as I’ve never been one for doing something just for the celebrity.
It finally occurred to me I was probably best to start from the beginning and answer a question that I know has played on a lot of people’s minds that know me. That is “why on earth did I leave a successful, well paying corporate career to start a business around sharing my love and knowledge of colour?” Which is a really nice of way of saying for some “where did this colour thing come from anyway?”
Well, it has often been said that our truest passions emerge in childhood. Continue reading